Friday, February 3, 2012

Shopping for Vintage in Honolulu

I had a bit more luck buying in Honolulu than on Maui or Kaua’i.  Here’s a little tour of Bailey’s Antiques and Aloha Shirts…
Located not far from Waikiki, you can’t miss the bright pink and turquoise building where Bailey’s is located.
Criminy, I had no idea there would be so many shirts!  I find most aloha shirts to be criminally ugly, though occasionally I see a design I like.
That’s David Bailey behind the counter.  He’s been selling aloha shirts for more than 30 years. Some of the best in the shop are those hanging up above his head, nice rayon examples from the 1930s or ‘40s.  The right aloha shirt can bring thousands of dollars!
 
Love the hula girls!

Sadly, it's time to head back to the mainland.  The trip home is punishing--now that I'm a country girl, it will likely take 16 hours total for me to get back to my house.  As always, I'm sad to go, but already thinking of my next trip...


© All text and images are copyright of Jeni Sandberg

No comments:

Post a Comment