Monday, August 29, 2011

The Breakfast Nook -- Before and After

I’ll be posting a few of these quick before-and-afters of spaces in my new house--a 1920s Tudor-meets-Jeffersonian-colonial revival.  I’m proceeding slowly with changes, the first of which is removing wallpaper and painting, just to get a blank canvas to work with.  Forgive the crappy quality of the 'before' images--it was February and it was snowy and dark, so my camera kicked into a high ISO and made everything very grainy... 


Here is a view of the little breakfast nook in my kitchen.  A very cute space, it would be great for kids.  You know how old silver diners are scaled really small?  That’s what this is like.  You can see it was covered in wallpaper that wasn’t horrible (could have been much worse), just not quite to my taste. 
 


And here is the nook with the wallpaper and ugly curtain gone.  The light gray paint is Benjamin Moore’s Silver Chain, with Benjamin Moore Super White on the trim and cabinets.  That’s a Vera Neumann tablecloth and tray on the table, with day lilies in a little milk glass footed dish.  I didn’t realize you couldn’t really use them as cut flowers, so they died very quickly!  The countertops are the cheapest possible white laminate and I like the checkerboard floor (though it is off-white and black and impossible to keep clean!).

Even though I took down wallpaper from this space, I’m contemplating putting some back up, a very cool floral paper from the 1970s that I got on eBay.  I only have one triple roll, though, and I’m not sure if it will be enough.  Stay tuned.  



© All text and images are copyright of Jeni Sandberg

No comments:

Post a Comment